venerdì 11 maggio 2007

Reflective Blogging on webcasts

About three weeks ago, we started to prepare our final presentation for the English course. I decided to work together with Maria Chiara and Alice and we chose the topic fraternities in the USA and goliardia in Italy. We were really enthusiastic about the topic and the following day we started to surf the web searching for useful information. We came up with a lot of interesting material and pictures and we started to prepare our PowerPoint presentation.


After to weeks and a good deal of work, we finally completed our work: our presentation was ready. That was the moment when I started to get a bit nervous also because we had to give the presentation not only in front of our classmates, but also to some American students who were listening to us online. This was possible using a new technology, so-called webcasts. Webcasts are online presentations where you can here the voice of the people who give the presentation and see their slides on your screen.


I have to admit, that I was a bit scared and nervous at the beginning, but when the first group gave their presentation, I realized that we couldn’t see the American students and they couldn’t interrupt us, so that it could seem a presentation just in front of our classmates and that made me feel less nervous.


At the end of every presentation, every student had the opportunity to ask questions and give feedback. It was a very nice part and I appreciated that the American students asked a lot of questions because this demonstrated that they were listening to us and that they understood what we were talking about; that means that our presentations were probably not that bad.:-) Moreover, it was very encouraging to see comments like brava, perfect, etc. on the screen while we were talking.


I think webcasts are interesting tools and we can exploit them in two ways that is, give presentations and also listen to presentations given by native speakers and improve consequently our language skills. Moreover, it is very useful to get feedback from people who do not know you, because they are probably more objective and honest. Another advantage of using webcasts is the fact that the presentations are recorded and archived.


I enjoyed this experience and I think I will listen to other presentations in the future.


Susanne

4 commenti:

alex ha detto...

Dear Susi,

I had a look at all webcasts and I think all of you did a great job!
don't you think that your peers' Italian was almost perfect?!?! I was really impressed as they used correctly all tenses!(not all Italians do...)

see u soon,
alexandra

Her Royal Highness Susanne ha detto...

Dear alex,
Thank you for your comment:-))!!Actually we were quite nervous doing our presentations but it was fun preparing them and we were all quite satisfied about the results.:-)
You are right!!!! The Italian of the Americans was really good. I was very impressed!!!

See you soon,
Susanne

Alice ha detto...

Hi susi!
what else can I add? WE all are BRAVISSIME!!!

cheers
Ali

Alessandra ha detto...

Hi Susanne,
I listened to your webcasts too... they were great! Job well done!
Like you all I was impressed by the Americans and their practically-perfect Italian. A couple years more and they can talk Italian better than we do.