giovedì 15 marzo 2007

My Blog Experience

My blog experience

First of all, I have to admit that I am not what one would call a blog expert. Six month ago, I did not even know what a blog exactly was. Fortunately, my brother is a computer freak and every now and then he brings me up to date on the situation in the computer world. Unfortunately, we do not meet very often as he is studying abroad and unfortunately he is not very patient but I have to say that since I am willing to learn and improve the situation is getting better and he shows me a lot of things.

Everybody knows that Internet is an enormous network which allows us to connect with computers all over the world, do research, publish articles, book flights, etc. However, I did not expect to find within this huge network an immense amount of blogs. During the last two weeks I learned a lot of new things about blogs and blogging.

I realized that there are a lot of people who regularly write things, in order to share information and help other people not to get lost in the net. In fact, as blogs are structured in an interactive way, they often contain useful links and can be more helpful than search engines if one is looking for information on a particular topic. Moreover, almost all blogs not only contain text, but also pictures, comments, multimedia files, etc.

The topics vary very much from one blog to another; it is possible to find movie blogs, travel blogs, music blogs, gossip blogs, etc. Some of the blogs are more personal than others. In order not to get lost in the blogsphere it is important to select information using search engines or having a look at the tags that describe the blogs. Every blog is structured in a different way and language and style depend on the author and the readership he/she is writing for. Moreover, every blog has its own rules but there are general rules, which one should follow when writing a blog.

I think it is a good idea to use the blogsphere in order to improve our English. Most blogs are written in colloquial English, the way people talk in everyday life. At university, we are supposed to read many books in English, we study grammatical aspects of the language and are taught how to write in a correct way. To know these things is, without doubt, important but in order to communicate in English speaking countries, one has to know the slang and the expressions people use, otherwise it is very difficult to be able to follow a conversation between native speakers.

Finally, I have to say that this blog experience is useful for both, language learning and in improving my computer skills.

Photo source






Nessun commento: