mercoledì 21 marzo 2007

Social bookmarking


According to wikipedia social bookmarking is “a web-based service to share Internet bookmarks”. The word “share has a central importance in this definition: people collect internet addresses, that they find interesting and share these links. This way, it is possible to build up a list of useful links about one topic and to collaborate with a group of people with the same interests.

To be honest, I have to say that until last Monday, I did not know what social bookmarks are. However, as the purpose of our English course for this week is to start social bookmarking, I had a look at the del.icio.us website searching for information and I discovered that social bookmarking is a useful tool in order to filter information on the Internet. The Internet is full of websites on very different topics and it is possible to find information about almost everything one can think of. If you do not really know what you are looking for you risk to go mad:-/. Therefore, every additional help a part from search engines (which everybody knows how to use) is important and facilitates searches.

Finally, I managed to create my own list of bookmarks:-). I used the search engine google to find websites of interest which involve the topic of language learning and writing. Obviously, I had to read a lot of boring stuff before I came across some websites that really interested me. I chose the most interesting sites and wrote brief summary of these pages. Now, my list is ready and I share my bookmarks online:-)).

I really appreciated the bookmarks my classmates chose: some of them are very useful for students who study English as a second language. Below, I will list some of the most interesting links.
-Tania, Elena and Ilaria suggested one site that shows common errors in English and is useful because the student becomes aware of the primary difficulties in learning English.
-Alessandra T. and Alexandra saved the pages Englishpage.com and VOANews.com to their bookmarks. These sites provide lisenting resources to help advanced English learners to improve their English.
-Martina came across one site that particularly interested me. I like the online etymology dictionary as I love to investigate where the words come from.
-Moreover, Alida suggested the website englishclub.com, that provide lots of materials and suggestions to learn and teach English.
-A funny way of discovering and learning about the differences between American and British English is the American's guide to speaking British I found in Elena's bookmarks.
-Alessandra P. saved the Gossary of ideomatic English Expressions to her bookmarks wich might be helpful for English learners when they come accross ideomatic expressions while reading other people's blogs, for example.
My classmates discovered other useful websites which deal with writing. These websites are very interesting because they can be helpful when I have to write my thesis, on my blog but also my curriculum vitae. Erica suggested a website wich provides CV samples and tips about how to write a good CV, Viola found a site which can help you to improve your public speaking skills, and Ilaria discovered a page that can help you to improve your writing skills.

Finally, sharing bookmarks online is very useful and, as you can see, thanks to social bookmarking I came across very interesting and useful webpages! I want to thank all my classmates for the great job they did!:-) It is great to share information:-))

Susanne






Photo Source

1 commento:

syeds ha detto...

just an year ago i was unaware of Social bookmarking/networking sites, i used to browse many chartrooms for searching new friends.
Thanks Ancora,
I came to know few more new sites by your blog. keep sharing your knowledge. thanks once again.

Cv Samples